Saturday, June 6, 2009

A message to the thieves

The Kona is gone. I wonder if I'll ever see it again. Talking to Britton about upgrading my race rig, he suggested that I sell what I currently had. His logic being that it's better to get what you can out of something before it gets stolen. I laughed when he said this, my bike would never be stolen; plus my Kona would have an honored spot in the pub, when it opens. Waking up for work Monday morning I found that the bike that I have endured thousands of miles of training hours on, the bike that I have ridden to victory and defeat, the only object in my life that I could liken to a friend was gone. Her dissappearance was unreal, sometimes I still have a hard time believing it. Poof. Gone. I was in shock while I searched for her, on my drive to Beckett, but when I uttered one sentence to my mom at 6:30am, "Mom, someone stole my bike," I broke down. I cried like a child. A no-holds-barred, flat-out sob. The police man said that things like this happen all the time in Olathe. Inner city kids will drive down pick locks and break into cars parked in drive-ways. They only took my Kona, nothing else. They missed the wallet, the spare checks, 200+ dollar helmet, you name it. They managed to take the most priceless and most cherished of my possessions. They tore my heart out yesterday.

Let me say something to the thieves; that bike will never bring you the joy it brought me. You could ride it for a lifetime and never share the bond we forged before I was known in the cycling community. You'll never know the victory we shared overcoming each obstacle; riding 40, 50, and then a 60 mile personal best, in the fall. Experiencing withdrawal I would climb onto her saddle during sub-freezing days to steal as much of a ride as I could before tempting frostbite. Month after month she has never been far, always within eyesight; even at night when I sleep, except this once. Congratulations, you robbed me of my best friend, and for what? A couple hundred bucks maybe, at a pawn? You stole her because you don't have the kind of love that I have for cycling, in your life. Stealing mine will never change that. Burn in hell.

1 comment:

flatmtber said...

Post up a pic of the bike if you have one. That way people can keep and eye out for it. Sometimes the thief will take it into a local shop to sell it or get some work done on it. If the shop knows what it looks like and that it was stolen you might get it back.

Can't hurt.